June 19th thru June 24th - the First Annual “Start the Summer Flying Fly-In”

 

The first annual summer Fly-In at the airport was a decent success.  I put out a swimming pool that was heavily utilized and the local Boy Scout troop provided the meals.  We had about 20 airplanes show up on Saturday and 5 or 6 stayed overnight through the weekend.  It was a nice party and I’m happy for everyone that came.

 

On top of the GA aircraft, 16 powered parachute pilots came and stayed the weekend with us.

The rest of June

 

After the fly-in, I continued to move furniture from my Rockwall/Lavon ranch house out to the new airport home.  I purchased a few new items, but mostly started the slow process that would one day end up with the sale of my old home.

 

I installed the mirrors in the bathroom and move in, temporarily, a futon bed.  It wasn’t the best, but it was good enough for me.

 

We installed a flag pole out at the airport and I had the septic company come out and start installation of an aerobic septic system at the airport.  Walt L. started building an outside bathroom that was attached to the cottage for guests to use.

The rest of the year - More furniture moved and making it a home.!

 

I continued to move furniture from one home to the other during the next few months.  The septic company finished my septic system installation at the end of July while I was away for my annual visit to EAA Airventure in Oshkosh, Wisconsin.  I was very happy to actually be able to use the facilities for the first time when I returned.

 

I moved the futon bed out and moved in a “real” bed in September.  I also added a desk and computer workstation to the bedroom so that I could work from the airport if I so desired.  Internet connectivity was a requirement and I didn’t have many good choices.  First, I purchased a wifi device that connected to the Sprint network.  This didn’t give very fast access speeds, however.  After a couple of months, I decided that it wasn’t “up to par”, so I purchased an AT&T mifi that worked much better - still not “blazing” speed, but it worked very well as long as I didn’t exceed the monthly bandwidth allotment.

 

In early October, I finally got out and added a roof and banister rails to the front porch.  It was a nice week-long job that, while not too difficult, proved to be challenging to do it in a sturdy manner.

 

The “beast” part of building a home and recovering the airport was finally complete!  By the end of 2012, I declared us “finished” with Phase I.  Now, I would be able to take my time and slowly make what we had done better.  The “Building an Airport” job was finally complete!